Close Date 2/1/17
Under general direction enforces Federal, State and Local laws and ordinances. To supervise, assign, review and participate in the work of staff responsible for providing services in patrol, criminal investigations, emergency communications, internal affairs, and training within the Police Department; and to perform a variety of technical tasks relative to the assigned area of responsibility. Performs various duties to support law enforcement activities as well as provide service to the citizens in an efficient and professional manner.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
This position receives supervision from the Sergeant. This position supervises a patrol officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Patrols assigned district and receives dispatched calls for service to help prevent crime, aid citizens needing assistance and arrest violators of the law
• Enforces traffic laws, monitors school crossings and provides escorts to ensure safe motor vehicle operation throughout the City
• Prepares written reports as required by specific assignments
• Investigates reports of criminal activity, interviews victims and witnesses, seeks, gathers and submits evidence for processing, interrogates suspects and arrests suspected offenders
• Testifies in court as required
• Instructs citizens, businesses, schools and civic organizations about methods and techniques that may help prevent one from becoming a victim of crime
• Responds to emergency calls and routine complaints and disturbances and takes necessary action
• Directs and escorts traffic, operates traffic radar monitoring equipment and issues traffic citations
• Conducts initial investigations of traffic accidents and crimes against persons and property
• Questions witnesses, complainants, victims and suspects and takes statements
• Processes prisoners, including fingerprinting, photographing, enduring magistrate warnings by a judge, approving city bonds, searching prisoners, recording and securing the prisoner's property, and transporting prisoners to an appropriate facility
• Shares information and works with other law enforcement agencies as directed and appropriate
• Assists EMS personnel, firefighter, animal control and other City department as required
• Conducts security checks of businesses and residential areas on patrol route
• Fosters good police-community relations among residents and civilian population
• Monitors roadway and weather conditions, reporting any potential problems to appropriate agencies
• Responsible for fleet vehicle maintenance
• Oversees firearms training
• Makes duty schedule for patrol officers
• Investigates complaints against police department members as assigned
• Investigates all fatality or near fatality traffic accidents
• Oversees FTO program and FTO's
• On call supervisor for patrol officers
• Other duties as assigned
•High School Diploma or equivalent diploma
•Peace Officer Certification through the Texas Commission of law Enforcement (TCOLE)
•Three years of police experience as a patrol officer or Sergeant
•Valid Texas Class C Drivers License
•Intermediate Peace Officer Certification through the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
•Five years of police experience as a patrol officer and/or Sergeant.
Starting Pay depending on qualifications is $19.53 - $20.53 an hour
TMRS 2-1 retirement with 5% contribution.
Paid Health insurance for employee.
Paid Vacation and sick time.